La Mesa Immigration Visas

An La Mesa immigrant visa is provided to qualified applicants where he/she has an intent to stay in the United States permanently.  These visas are a pre-cursor to obtaining Lawful Permanent Resident status, colloquially known as the Greencard, and may eventually lead to U.S. Citizenship.

La Mesa Family-Based Immigrant Visas

Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas: Visas based on a close family relationship with a United States citizen described as an Immediate Relative (IR). The number of immigrants in these categories is not limited each fiscal year.

  • IR-1: Spouse of a U.S. citizen
  • IR-2: Unmarried child under 21 years of age of a U.S. citizen
  • IR-3: Orphan adopted abroad by a U.S. citizen
  • IR-4: Orphan to be adopted in the U.S. by a U.S. citizen
  • IR-5: Parent of a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years old

Family Preference Immigrant Visas in La Mesa California: Visas for more distant family members of a U.S. citizen as well as certain family members of a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR). There are fiscal year numerical limitations on family preference immigrants and typically there is a wait for a visa number to become available.

  • Family First Preference (F1): Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens and their minor children (if any)
  • Family Second Preference (F2): Spouses, minor children, and unmarried sons and daughters (age 21 and over) of LPRs
  • Family Third Preference (F3): Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens and their spouses and minor children (if any)
  • Family Fourth Preference (F4): Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children, provided the U.S. citizens are at least 21 years old
Please note: Grandparents, aunts, uncles, in-laws, and cousins cannot sponsor a relative for immigration.
To determine the wait time for your Family Preference Category, please visit
Special Categories
  • K-1 Visa: Fiancé/Fiancée Nonimmigrant Visa that allows for entry to the U.S. for the purpose of getting married within 90 days
  • K-3 Visa: Nonimmigrant visa for spouse of U.S. citizen who has an I-130 on file with USCIS
  • VAWA: Immigrant visa for battered spouse, child, or parent of U.S. citizen or LPR

Law Offices of Peter Chu is a reputable law firm providing legal immigration services to residents of San Diego. We provide our customers with consultation and other legal services to help fulfill their needs and requirements. To enquire about our services or book an appointment, call us at  858-268-8823. You can also send us an e-mail at